Monday, February 09, 2009

I've been tossing around the idea of writing mini-books on specific subjects for a while.  They'd be 40-75 pages, most likely, and sell for <$15 (physical; ebooks would be cheaper of course).  With the services Amazon is offering, it's fairly straightforward to publish them.

Here's a small list of the subjects I've considered covering:
  • Code injection techniques that Actually Work (TM) -- that is, explain how to get into a process and then dynamically patch any machine code to do what you want, without special casing for the target.
  • Hiding code modification in userspace
  • Emulation 101 -- this is badly needed, as evidenced by how much I had to explain in this Stack Overflow post.
  • Dynarec techniques -- again, there's simply nothing there
  • Finding and understanding the code you're interested in -- there are a few good reversing books, but none of them dig down into how to achieve your goals in real applications (read: not malware)
I've considered others but they're escaping me at the moment.

Now, I have a few questions.  Would anyone be interested in buying these minibooks?  What price range would you buy them at?  Which books would you be interested in?  If they were released Creative Commons, would you still buy them?

Another thing I've been pondering for a while is using the street performer protocol to make money off this work.  Ask for $X ($1000-2500 maybe?) and then the book is released Creative Commons.  I can still publish via Amazon (at a lower rate, of course), but the book will be freely distributable.  Anyone think they'd be interested in this model?

Please let me know what you think.

Happy Hacking,
~ dieken

4 comments:

Memory Envy said...

Sounds like a neat concept. I'd go with the Street Performer sales paradigm. If they are well written and have visual aids to explain concepts, I'm sure they'd fly off the shelves, real or virtual.

Unknown said...

The more technical books on a subject, the better. I would buy them at the $15 range, but the SPP sounds like an interesting idea as well. All of those topics sound like something I would at least skim a book for.

Scotty B said...

I think you could start with the SPP and if you don't get enough money in escrow in a reasonable time, just write the book and publish it. Maybe take a tip from Apple and the iPhone apps. It sure seems like anyone will pay $0.99 - $4.99 for just about anything. I'd pay five bucks too look at a book that I was a little curious, but not serious about, but probably not fifteen bucks. Just my $0.02.

Unknown said...

I'd definitely buy the Emulation one and the Code Injection one.

If you do release them, consider publishing a Kindle Edition as well. Would be nice to load your mini-books on my kindle and read on the way to school.